Not so early this morning

Some nightmares just go on and on, do you find that?

Having had an abortive attempt at getting my scooter through its two yearly test yesterday I had positioned it ready to get an early test this morning. I didn’t bother arriving at the mobile test facility in Agullu until 8.30am safe in the knowledge that yesterday’s fiasco would not be repeated. Feeling quite satisfied with myself I parked my pick-up and looked around for the testing staff. Yok! I sat in my car, the rain showers (heavy) came every 15 minutes or so and nothing else happened at all.

Eventually (One hour and ten minutes) the rain eased off a bit and from Omer’s pide restaurant the royal blue suited staff emerged and wandered over the road to their vehicles. Full of hope and expectation I followed them with my scooter helmet all nicely polished.

Lots of chatting and faffing about ensued and eventually the rolling road was deployed after the 440 volt cable had the water blown out of the connections. Lots of gazing at the sky was being done by the staff, more of which later. The window on the office van opened and a little crowd formed round it, then it shut again.

About half an hour was taken up by rearranging the cars that had been parked around the rolling road last night and everyone who thought they were in prime position found themselves demoted, not me though, ha ha (premature laughter).
If you think this is all being a bit long winded you should have been there. It was much worse, my literary prowess doesn’t extend to conveying just how much time was being wasted. Actually that might be a bit unfair as I was beginning to have a jaundiced view of the whole affair by now. If only I had known what was going to happen!

With the help of one of the guys from the harbour who helps Selo with the Altug boats I eventually made it to the front of the queue to hand my documents through the van window and pay my 63.72 Lira. The charge is more for a car, 120TL (ish) I think. I was trying to contain my excitment and not jump up and down for joy as I moved away from the van with my receipt clutched in my trembling hand only to be relieved of another 20 Lira by the Kas Soforler Odasi representative for a service that had been rendered without me noticing. That brought me back to reality. I did get a receipt though. Well we are all rich yabancilar aren’t we, what’s 20 lira? Only four beers in Kas I found out last Saturday much to my chagrin. Whatever happened to the cost of living here?

I digress.

I stood bathed in a warm glow of happiness waiting for another half hour while they tested a few cars (they do them five at a time then open the van window again) then I heard the last numbers of my scooter registration plate being called out. My heart leapt and I shouted ‘Evet!’ possibly a little too loudly because the fellow standing next to me jumped back in alarm.
I brought my scooter to the headlight testing machine and after that the blue suited tester had a look at engine and chassis numbers. Horror of horrors the numbers didn’t tally with the documents! My day went downhill as fast as Franz Klammer at this point.

What the F– Hell??? How can this be?

Just a normal occurrence for the guys in blue suits but a very big deal for me. Maybe we tend to inflate the importance of our time but to us time is not something to be wasted. Having to drive to Antalya just to get the details on my vehicle documents changed suddenly grew from a few hours to the proportions of a trip across the Atlantic in a pedalo. I was given a certificate with the details of my failure emblazoned across it and to add insult to injury it also said my headlights were a bit dim. Everyone was looking at me, I know how lepers feel now. I resembled the headlights as I made my sad way home.

Happily the problems were sorted out within a couple of hours. I won’t bore you with the details, this is getting a bit like War and Peace already, but I will/should get new documents next week with any luck.

I should note here that the testing staff are smart, knowledgeable and generally comport themselves in a professional manner. That fact that the whole rigmarole is so time consuming is down to everyone else getting in the way and generally screwing things up. It being a very wet and stormy weekend didn’t help matters either. Tests are not carried out on cars if it is raining, that’s why they were gazing up so much, don’t know why but obviously that is going to cause long delays in winter months. They can do motorcycles and scooters during rain though, and if I had known that I could have returned and gone through all this yesterday but then hindsight is 20.20 isn’t it?

I’ll be glad when the sun comes out again.

Posted January 24, 2009 by cukurbagli in Uncategorized

%d bloggers like this: