Up early today!

Here in Turkey vehicle road tax is paid in two instalments, one in January and one in July. The vehicle road worthiness test can be carried out at any time. My scooter is due to be tested this month and I duly took it along to the testing station this morning.
But to start at the beginning of this little story I have to backtrack a week to when I went to the Tax Office (Maliye) in Kas. I had to get the document certifying that there were no outstanding liabilities on the scooter like unpaid traffic fines, unpaid road tax etc. It takes about a week to complete that here, then you go to the testing station.

Our testing station here is a mobile set-up that only comes here 4 days a month and I had been warned to get there early. So this morning saw me getting up at 5am, giving the animals their breakfast, having my own breakfast and getting dressed up warmly to brave the cold wind and rain that had set in overnight to go the mile or so down to the next village where the mobile testing station would be set up.

When I arrived there was a line of about thirty vehicles, cars, tractors and small pick-ups. A little group of scooters and motorcycles was gathered at the front of the queue so I joined them. By this time it was 6.30 or so. We all stood there getting progressively wetter and colder for two and a half hours before the test personnel arrived and started setting up their equipment. By this time the queue had grown and cars were parked on either side of the road, it was obvious that not all of them would get tested today.

A young man came to the front of the queue and started giving tickets and receipts on payment of 20 Lira and the whole thing started swinging into action, then stopped, because an argument broke out about queue jumping and it was decided that anybody who hadn’t had his vehicle there since last night would have to wait till the others had had theirs tested.

Well I just waited until he came to issue my ticket and he asked me how long I had been there. Of course I told the truth because everyone had seen me arrive this morning. So I was informed that I would have to come back tomorrow. I wasn’t the only one by any means, there were about fifteen men near me who all got told the same thing. But I was the only one laughing about it. Well if you don’t laugh about these things you end up in tears don’t you. Anyway I jumped on my scooter, went to the bakery across the road, got some fresh baked loaves and went home and had some toast and marmalade.

My car is due its test in March and I think I will use the oppportunity to take it to Fethiye where there is an organised system that is open most days of the week. I can then do a bit of shopping in a big town where much more is available.

This evening I will take the scooter to where the queue starts and be in first position for tomorrow morning. I’ll let you know what happens……

Posted January 23, 2009 by cukurbagli in Uncategorized

%d bloggers like this: